10 Things To Do Once A Hurricane Watch Or Warning Has Been Issued
In the event that a hurricane hits this season, it’s imperative that you prepare in advance to keep both you and your family safe and your home intact. So, what steps should you take once a hurricane is headed toward Florida?
First of all, don’t panic! Finding safety for your family and securing your home and personal belongings should be your top priority. You may only have a day or two to prepare once a watch or warning has been issued, so use your time wisely to ensure you cover any potential issues that can arise during the storm—you’ll thank yourself later!
Here are some quick, simple tips on what to do once a hurricane watch or warning has been issued:
- Be sure your hurricane preparedness kit is stocked and easily accessible
- Bring in or properly store anything that has the potential to fly away during a storm
- Board or shutter all windows – do not tape!
- Reinforce garage doors – you could experience significant wind damage in your home if the doors are not properly sealed
- Clear loose and clogged rain gutters, spouts, etc
- Trim trees and all other shrubbery
- Turn off propane tanks
- Install straps or additional clips to your roof to secure your home’s frame structure
- Check your roof for loose shingles
- Determine how and where to secure your vehicle
Questions? Feel free to ask.