22 Things You Need To Compile The Perfect Hurricane Supply Kit
Hurricane season is in full force—that’s why it’s imperative that you prepare in advance to keep both you and your family safe and your home intact. Knowing what steps to take at the start of hurricane season can make all the difference!
If you don’t already have an emergency supply kit stored safely somewhere in your home, take a moment to create a thorough kit.
The check list below can help you make sure you have everything you need to ensure the safety of your family and home this hurricane season! Some (if not most) of the items are actually things that are most likely already laying around your house. Compiling them into one box will make it easier for you to keep handy in the event that a storm hits.
- Water – one gallon per person per day for at least three days
- Food – at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food per person
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and extra batteries
- Flashlight or lantern and extra batteries
- Fully-stocked first aid kit
- Whistle and/or emergency light to signal for help
- Dust mask to help filter contaminated air
- Plastic sheeting or a tarp and duct tape – to create a last minute shelter
- Moist towelettes
- Garbage bags
- Zip ties
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
- Manual, old-fashioned can opener for food
- Local maps and list of emergency services in your area
- Cell phone with chargers (including car and solar chargers)
- Cash or traveler’s checks and change for large bills
- Important family documents – insurance information and other paperwork
- One weeks’ worth of clean clothing
- Fire extinguisher
- Candles and a lighter or waterproof matches
- Disposable plates, cups, utensils, and ziplock bags
- Books, games, puzzles, and other forms of entertainment
Questions? Feel free to ask.